[AccessD] OT - Would you believe

Stuart Sanders stuart at pacific.net.hk
Mon Nov 10 20:11:44 CST 2003

Well ... I personally like to keep anything that needs to survive an OS install
on a separate partition.  If I need to zap my machine, I can wipe my c drive and
reinstall windows and the apps (or ghost them back).  I would be *really*
unhappy if the outlook.pst file was included in that wipe.  So it happens to be
one of the things that I moved out of documents and settings.

Personally I could quite happily lose most of the profiling that MS puts in
Documents and Settings, and I only use IE on activex required sites, so for me
not even things like bookmarks are kept there.  Though I did move them when I
used IE more.  I tended to and still do move a number of windows default
locations via registry hack ... That includes "My Documents" since many apps
default to that as a save location, and I don't want it buried down multiple
levels of folder on a drive that I plan to wipe when windows next decides to be
a nuisance.

This win2k install has been pretty good ... It has been 18 months since I built
this one, and as a developer I do mess around with it a bit.  I remember with
win98 going 6 months was pretty good.  But then I have also become somewhat
comfortable with manually (and I do mean manually) cleaning the registry of apps
that don't decide to play well with windows.

Stuart