[AccessD] Would you believe

Erwin Craps Erwin.Craps at ithelps.be
Wed Nov 12 03:06:04 CST 2003

Hi Charlotte.

The "Documents and Settings" is infact a very good thing when having roaming profiles in a network.
It is also a security thing so other users can not get in to your profile and read your mail (when using PST).

If you fully use profiles, your computer may crash, you can continue to work on another computer without loss of data (except the things as from the last logon) or workenvironment (it ain't that simple! but still...).
It needs be be discouraged when U use a notebook both out and in the office, but it works greats for office computers. I use it at all my clients sites. It gives you pc redundancy. And I'm less stressed by it.
They can login to another computer and just have their mail etc up and running without dooing a thing.

Trust me, profiles are great stuff.... (and that what documents and settings is all about).
You just need to backup it also because it contains real data.

If you wanna save space in there, set the temporary internet files folder somewhere else or minimise the size.
IE sometimes set this to 800 MB (I supose it use x% from the drive as a base).
A setting of 50 or 100MB should be enough, but that is a subject for discussion.
When you have an active (one that keeps a cache!) proxy server, a IE setting of more than 50MB is of no use. Your proxy server does already the necesary caching.
But again, subject for discussion.
It's only my opinion.

BTW, should this thread not be on the DBA-TECH list?

Erwin