[AccessD] POLL: Access Security

Kath Pelletti SDSSoftware at optusnet.com.au
Wed Nov 12 20:31:58 CST 2003

Several reasons:

1. Most of my clients don't need that level of security and protect their data in other ways,

2. I have worked on several sites where the combination of mdb's secured with multiple mdw's was a nightmare for the same people who set them up (ie in house staff), several cases of 'lost' mdw's and I find that too often the original system mdw's are modified (I can remember posting problems with Access security to the list which all ended up being a case of the client's original system.mdw having been modified....headaches)

3. When clients ask me (all the time) to set up security, it has mostly been because they want to make some aspects of the system visible / not visible to groups of users, or certain functions available / not available to groups of users. So a homegrown system which tracks a user group and user name has been enough for me combined with setting my system properties before delivering the mde. It is made clear to the client that this level of security will never prevent them from a professional who is determined to hack in.

I'm not expert on this and I look forward to reading what the "1's"  have to say...........so many posts have been made to the list on security that it's obviously an issue for most developers at some stage or another.

Kath