[AccessD] workgroup file (Sec Poll spin-off)

Francisco H Tapia my.lists at verizon.net
Thu Nov 13 13:14:12 CST 2003

<shaking head in disbelief>  No no no no no.... the system.mdw SHOULD NEVER BE TOUCHED.  This is just bad practice... while it makes it incredibly convenient for a one database solution, when you begin adding new databases they automatically go and seek the permissions from the system.mdw, therefore all settings in that db are inherently applied to the new databases.

Again this is all fine if you're doing this to one database for one organization and even while you're the current developer.  But what happens when a new guy takes over or if you are given an mdb for another database.  You'll see weird errors that you wouldn't should you not have messed w/ the original System.mdw.  Additionally other developers following the Security FAQ will develop against their copy of the mdw.

Of course I know you're the main / only? developer for access apps w/ your organization.  But things can not always be so smooth.

--
-Francisco