[AccessD] POLL: Access Security

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Thu Nov 13 23:04:19 CST 2003

Jim,
Oh sure. I'll send it right over. I installed it duel boot on my UnixWare
machine.
<BIG GRIN>
NOT

I used to be a SysAdmin for AT&T Unix version 3.2.(something or or other)
and then had to move to UnixWare version 4? (IIRC-whatever version it was
the first version of Novell "UnixWare"). "THAT was sure a good idea on their
part" <smirking cynically> I would have loved an SCO system! I tried really
hard to get one but just couldn't swing it. And I didn't have the hardware
for Sun (pre-Solaris).
I actually came into the NT world because when we were starting our GIS
pilot project and we wanted it to be hosted on Unixware so I would admin
everything the same. Funny thing is we couldn't find one that would run on
UnixWare so we went with Intergraph (who had their own Unix called Clipper).
The project finally got approved and right about then Intergraph made this
wild leap into porting everything to Windows NT and we had to go with it.
They were the first really big company to support NT and they suffered for
it for a long time. NT 3.1 and even 3.5 were pretty horrible. NT 3.51 was
really the first stable version of the product IMHO. But even then you had
to deal with the horrible Windows 3.1 GUI. NT 4 was a slice of heaven! I
actually ran my GIS Pilot project on NT 3.51, NT 4 with the attribute data
held in an Informix SE v5 RDBMS on UnixWare. Nobody could believe it worked.
I do believe it was the only configuration like that in the world-ever :o)
We used to tell Intergraph Support (the local Intergraph guys idea) that it
was an SCO box and just make little changes here and there where things were
different between UnixWare and SCO. Never had any data loss and other than
the initial connection time (about a minute) it ran as fast as anything I've
ever worked on. I did that (UnixWare-SysAdmin/NT-Admin/RDBMS-Admin/GIS Pilot
Project Manager) for 4 years. Plus I supported all of the dept.
desktops/programs and three CADD stations. Never a dull moment. I don't
think I ever listed that all before. No wonder I got burned out and can't
remember anything anymore! BTW what were we discussing?

John B.
"slap-happy tired"

http://www.w2knews.com/rd/rd.cfm?id=031110FA-Inner_Geek