[AccessD] Redemption DLL WAS: Poll: How many versions...

Stuart Sanders stuart at pacific.net.hk
Thu Nov 20 22:10:40 CST 2003

I generally avoid installing extra dlls except where absolutely necessary
because of past dll problems.  Particularly with Microsofts standard controls
that some other app would install another version that broke what I was doing.
"One bitten twice shy"

In most cases I don't need other components at runtime.  (there are some
exceptions ... See below for one)

> And a better question:
> If you don't use the redemption DLL, how do you bypass the
> security dialog?
> Or do you use the line a tech consulting firm recently handed
> us: "The email
> warning dialog is for your protection.  It can't be bypassed"
>  Uh huh...

OK a separate question from me.  What do YOU do when a client refuses to use
Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express because of security concerns?  Redemption
isn't going to be useful for you then.  I have clients like that, so tried to
adopt an agnostic solution that could be used across the board.  Initially I
wrote a small smtp engine in vba, then ended up using a free 3rd party smtp
control.  So as a separate answer to your first question, I do use other com
controls, but sparingly.

The reason I'm now considering looking at redemption is not for email per se,
but for integration into outlook (email, contacts, meetings etc) for a medium
term project I'm working on, and redemption looks like a good place to start.
This would then force the use of outlook, which limits it a bit.  Since I do
currently use outlook, a nice bonus would be that I could hook my internal
systems into redemption for emailing statements and so on, and I plan to use the
developer version of the control for that when I have some time.

Regards

Stuart