[AccessD] backend application protection

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Wed Nov 26 16:04:56 CST 2003

John:
What I do is have my standard info screen as the start up form. That form
has two small transparent command buttons (cmdABKT and cmdABKF) on it in a
place no one thinks to double click. These allow me to set the bypass key on
or off as I need to. (The database window is hidden on startup of course)

You could just have a security warning form come up too. Heck, you could
even log the system user name while your at it, maybe even tell them your
logging it. Have some fun, scare the jeebies out of them!
:o)

Here's the code I use, if you find any gaping wholes in it or something let
me know.

John B.

Code Start
Private Sub cmdABKT_DblClick(intCancel As Integer)
   ' Comments   : turns on bypass key option
   ChangeProperty "AllowBypassKey", dbBoolean, True
End Sub

Private Sub cmdABKF_DblClick(intCancel As Integer)
   ' Comments   : turns off bypass key option
   ChangeProperty "AllowBypassKey", dbBoolean, False
End Sub

Function ChangeProperty(strPropName As String, varPropType As Variant,
varPropValue As Variant) As Integer
   ' Comments   : changes submitted property value
   ' Parameters : strPropName
   '              varPropType
   '              varPropValue -
   ' Returns    : Integer -
   Dim dbs As Database
   Dim prp As Property
   Dim strMsg As String
   Dim varReturn As Variant
   Const conPropNotFoundError As Long = 3270
   Set dbs = CurrentDb
   On Error GoTo Change_Err
   'set property
   dbs.Properties(strPropName) = varPropValue
   'read property
   Set prp = dbs.Properties(strPropName)
   strMsg = prp
   MsgBox strMsg
   ChangeProperty = True
Change_Exit:
   Exit Function
Change_Err:
   If Err = conPropNotFoundError Then  ' Property not found.
      Set prp = dbs.CreateProperty(strPropName, varPropType, varPropValue)
      dbs.Properties.Append prp
      Resume Next
   Else
      ' Unknown error.