[AccessD] NTFS new/changed file report by OS in Access

Erwin Craps Erwin.Craps at ithelps.be
Fri Nov 28 05:33:00 CST 2003

Ok Thanks, I look into it.

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com [mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Gustav Brock
Sent: Friday, November 28, 2003 10:37 AM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: Re: [AccessD] NTFS new/changed file report by OS in Access

Hi Erwin

> NTFS  has the posibilty to report to an app when a new file  is added
> or changed in a folder.
> So instead of screening a folder for new files app, its rather the OS
> that reports to the app that new or changed files are in a certain
> folder.
> Has anyone tried to use this in Access?
> I supose this is some kind of an API call.
> This is very true for WXP don't not for W2K.

Yes, Jürgen Welz helped me with this for Win2000 but it appears to only work reliably for changes "now and then", not for busy traffic.

Look up the archive on these:

  2002-02-19: On Timer Events

and a repost/quote

  2002-04-23: Monitoring Directories

If you can achieve better results I would be most interested in learning about it.

/gustav