[AccessD] Just in Time (off shoot of Can't open any more databases)

David Fenton dfe at nudgeeinternational.com
Thu Oct 2 17:56:38 CDT 2003

Charlotte and William, you have both got me thinking!
Yes I do use the Master/Child filter, but when the form is first loaded all of its subforms sit there blank behind their appropriate tabs (each with no recordsource).

When the user clicks on each tab I assign an SQL string to the recordsource of the subforms under that tabb, the form opens the record source and each child subform does it's master/child filtering. All is well, but it IS slow. Is this the accepted way to do it? Because if you are saying it should be faster, then I'd like to do it properly so that it IS faster on my application. I must be doing something wrong.

A sample of my code:
        Case 6   ' Transfers IN
	'Simple procedure to remove recordsources from forms hidden when user leaves previous tab
          	ClearRecordSource (Forms!frmEN_AddEnrolmentFees!sfrmTransferOUT.Form)
          	ClearRecordSource (Forms!frmEN_AddEnrolmentFees!sfrmTransferDetailsOUT.Form)
          	ClearRecordSource (Forms!frmEN_AddEnrolmentFees!sfrmTransferDetailsIN.Form)

	'Set up the recordsource strings for the three visible subforms (master and two children)
            Dim rsIN As String 'Master subform recordsource
    	Dim rsINfromDetails As String  'child 1 subform recordsource
    	Dim rsINtoDetails As String 'child 2 subform recordsource

	'Assign the strings to the variables
		rsIN = "SELECT tbl_Transfer.Trf_ID AS TransferID, tbl_Transfer.Trf_Num AS TrfNumber,
		tbl_Transfer.Trf_Printed AS Printed, tbl_Transfer.Trf_Date AS DateIssued, tbl_Transfer.Trf_Description,
		tbl_Transfer.Trf_Enrol_ID_out AS fromEnrolID, tbl_Transfer.Trf_Enrol_ID_in AS toEnrolID,
		tbl_Transfer.Trf_Amount AS AmtTransferred FROM tbl_Transfer;"
    	rsINfromDetails = "qryEN_FI_TransferDetailsOUT"
    	rsINtoDetails = "qryEN_FI_TransferDetailsIN"

	'Assign recordsources to the three subforms under tab user just clicked on
    	mainTrfINfrm.RecordSource = rsIN    'Where mainTrfINform is a form object previously set
    	detailTrfINfrom.RecordSource = rsINfromDetails
    	detailTrfINto.RecordSource = rsINtoDetails
	etc....

Any ideas?

Cheers
David Ô¿Ô¬