[AccessD] Who likes math!

Francisco H Tapia my.lists at verizon.net
Thu Oct 16 12:17:55 CDT 2003

I have a report that has 11 categories.  Each are scored from 1 - 100.
Through refining the report some categories weigh less now for example
category # 11 weights only 50% of the value thus a perfect score there
is only worth 50points vs a perfect score on Category ID 1.

I was taking these individual category points and tallying them up and
sort them in descending order thus those w/ the most points wins (those
at the top).  Now My boss wants to now take those guys who do not meet
the goal at category 1 to not be allowed to be in the TOP 10.  I tried
watering down their points first by only giving them 75% of their total
points down to 10% but the boss thought that probably wasn't a good idea.

My point is how do you fairly guage this, and how would you do it to
rank 11 categories over 30 sub-companies

Category	% of 100points
1		100
2
3		90
4		80
5		80
6		90
7		100
8		90
9		90
10		60
11		50

when I sum up all the points I get something like in the 900 or the
like, when one sub-company and another are tied, they both take up the
same ranking number such as 1, 2, 2, 4.  the next spot automatically is
shifted to the next ranking value not 3rd place, but 4th.  How could I
take a company that is ranked in 3rd place overall score but knock them
down to be 11th place only because they didn't meet the primary
criteria?  What this assures is that anybody that ever fails to meet the
primary category can't qualify in the top 10.

thanks.
--
-Francisco