[AccessD] Duplicate Public Functions NOT causing compile error in AXP

Charlotte Foust cfoust at infostatsystems.com
Wed Oct 29 11:27:48 CST 2003

Has anyone else seen this problem?  We use SourceSafe and in converting
an app to XP and sharing modules from other XP projects in VSS, I've
discovered that two routines in different standard modules, both
declared public, may NOT cause a compile error in the project.  If the
only calls to that routine are in property sheets (i.e., =MyFunction()),
the ambiguous name error won't turn up until you happen to use an object
with that routine call from its property.  If the routine is called in
an event procedure, the syntax checking seems to work, but not with a
direct call.  I personally don't use the latter technique, but some of
our forms have been around a long time and other developers have used
that technique to create lighter weight forms.

I dont' remember running into this in previous versions of Access, but
it's been awhile.  Even if the project is compacted out of VSS, it will
still compile and then throw an error when an object that calls the
ambiguous routine is opened.

Charlotte Foust