[AccessD] CBO Not In List

Henry Simpson hsimpson88 at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 2 14:20:40 CDT 2003

I concluded the opposite when it came to the names of people.  I did not
concatenate a zip code because I didn't want duplicate person records
everytime someone uses a different address (mailing vs physical vs work vs
weekend vs summer...).  As I don't generally use a 'New Record' button, the
only annomaly is that it is necessary to misspell a name if there really are
two people with identical names.  This is especially true for things like
companies with the same name but different locations.  Users appreciate the
fact that you parse names so they need not rekey things twice.

I didn't consider it not 'worth my time' because it is used in every
application I write.  When I was first working with Access 97, I read a Wrox
book called something like Beginning Access VBA and it had an example of an
elaborate parser that pulled Mr/Mrs - Names - middle names - last names -
Jr/Sr and then titles and degrees.  I dummied that one down about 500%  back
in '97 and still use it today and it still works just as satifactorily now
as it did then.  I probably invested over an hour into the routine at the
time because coding was new to me and Access 97 didn't have some of the
newer string functions that more recent versions have, but I learned
something and built a reusable tool.

Hen