[dba-VB] [AccessD] OT Learning ASP

paul.hartland at fsmail.net paul.hartland at fsmail.net
Mon Oct 13 09:08:40 CDT 2003

Thanks, I will look into this a bit more thoroughly now

Message date : Oct 13 2003, 03:01 PM
To : accessd at databaseadvisors.com
Copy to :
Subject : Re: [dba-VB] [AccessD] OT Learning ASP

Paul,

There are several issues to consider before you take this step:

1.  Are you the only one who will be doing web development for your
company?

2.  Are there existing web sites in ASP?

3.  Are you going to try to integrate your web logon with your network
ID's?

4.  Is MS Site Server available to you?

My personal suggestion would be that you skip ASP and go to ASP.NET.
There are a number of compelling reasons for this, but ultimately it depends on
what your company will support.

As far as ASP classic books, my favorites were the WROX ASP series.
You can skip Beginning ASP; go straight to Professional ASP.  I believe
there was also an  ASP databases book in the series.

Before you but the books try href="http://www.4guysfromrolla.com">www.4guysfromrolla.com - the best ASP
site on the web.  Search their site for Authentication or Authorization to
find possible answers to your specific problem.

Gary Ray - Application Developer
Workforce Information Systems R &
E-Mail gray at utah.gov

paul.hartland at fsmail.net 10/13/03 07:21AM >>>

style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma">To all,ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma">

style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma">I would like to start getting into
ASP, I have done very little HTML so really don’t know where to start.style="mso-spacerun: yes">  We are going to transfer our main
booking database to SQL Server 7.0, and will be using this as a back-end to an
Intranet/Internet page.  What I am
really after is a way to create a logon page that grants access via a user
table, I think if someone could give me some sample code to do this (i.e.
designing the logon page and connecting to the database to check the logins) I
may be able to get a better understanding before we go to
far.

style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma">

style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma">Also does anyone know any good
books for this, I am currently programming in VB/VBA on XP machines with a
Windows 2000 server.

style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma">

style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma">Paul Hartland

[ (no filename) (0.2 Kb) ]