[AccessD] Number vs text data type

Henry Simpson hsimpson88 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 15 20:56:09 CDT 2003

If you do something a million times and measure the total time/iterations
the accuracy improves.  But I don't see the relevance anyway.  Indexes are
numeric pointers into the data anyway so the time to find a number or string
that it indexed involves only a few comparisions.  The big difference is in
the size of data and index that needs to be transferred from disk to
processor which takes far more time than the time to make the comparisons.
Once the table or index is cached, the processor speed makes very little
difference.  The real issue is the fact that the data is much larger and the
index is also as much larger and with a file server database, the size of
the data and index makes far more impact on the ultimate performance than
the processor speed.  I've recently seen a 200 mhz and a 2.4 ghz computer
load the same data from a file server on the same LAN in the same time.  Yes
the faster machine filters and sorts much faster.  You should see that 200
mhz machine with cable modem kick the butt of the 2.4 ghz machine using a
cellular phone modem loading web pages.  Multiplying the processor speed by
12 times makes no discernable difference in load time, but there is no doubt
that cutting the size of the data in half will improve data load time by a
factor of two no matter what the speed of the processor.  You can only buy
so much performance.  The rest has to be consciously designed.  Also, things
like spaces, parentheses and hyphens can be used in formatting a numeric
value.  Why do you suppose Microsoft and other software vendors store dates
as numeric values?  Speed, efficiency and format flexibility.

Hen