[AccessD] Number vs text data type

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Thu Oct 16 04:06:06 CDT 2003

Hi Lambert

I think you are mixing up two things here.

Private formats controlled by some management may, of course, be
changed with no warning.

Public formats, however, are so widely used that you'll always be
given a lead time counted in years. This holds true for postal code
formats, telephone number formats etc.

Have for example a look at how slowly but steadily the IBAN
international numbering format for bank accounts is promoted while
you still, but at increasing costs, can use the old system with bank
names, BIC (SWIFT) codes and account numbers.

But I will vote with you.

/gustav