[AccessD] Access Packaging (VB packaging)

John B. john at winhaven.net
Thu Oct 16 12:30:43 CDT 2003

Richard:
In my Wise installation scripts I check whether or not the target system is
a 9x based OS or NT based OS and depending on the condition install
different files (if they are needed).

WinNT comes with certain OLE files pre-installed in the SYSTEM32 directory.
These files are:

COMPOBJ.DLL
OLE2.DLL
OLE2DISP.DLL
OLE2NLS.DLL
STORAGE.DLL
TYPELIB.DLL
STDOLE.TLB

Win9x use files of the same name, but the files are very different.  They
are not guaranteed to be pre-installed.  On those operating systems, the
files are located in the SYSTEM directory.

If you are running WinNT, you will find that you have TWO copies of each of
these files, one in the SYSTEM32 directory and one in the SYSTEM directory.
Because WinNT loads files from the SYSTEM32 directory before it loads files
from the SYSTEM drectory, NT itself always uses the files in the SYSTEM32
directory.

If you are building your distribution disks on a WinNT machine, be sure that
you select the files from the SYSTEM directory and not the files from the
SYSTEM32 directory.  If you install the SYSTEM32 files onto a Win9x
machine, you will corrupt the OLE subsystem and render it inoperative.

You must also be careful that your installation program handles the case of
an NT target machine properly.  It should either:

1)  Not install the above listed files at all.  WindowsNT will have its own
set pre-installed.

2) Install the files to the SYSTEM instead of the SYSTEM32 directory. NT
ignores these files at runtime since it has its own set in the SYSTEM32
directory (which it gives priority to).

Things You Should *NEVER* Do

1) In no case should you unconditionally overwrite the OLE DLLs in the
SYSTEM32 directory with the ones from the SYSTEM directory.  This will
corrupt NT and you will need to manually delete all of those files and
reinstall or repair NT.

2) Do not install the OLE files taken from the SYSTEM32 directory on to a
Win9x machine.  Install the ones from the SYSTEM directory instead.

HTH
John B.