[AccessD] Web based Project

Stuart Sanders stuart at pacific.net.hk
Mon Oct 20 20:47:10 CDT 2003

If only....

If it is a one printer to 1 pc deal then yes it should be straight forward...
But generally manufacturers like to tweak their drivers and release new models
which windows doesn't recognise, etc.  So if they buy a new printer and plug it
into their PC they are likely to get a message stating that windows has found a
new device and needs to install drivers.  In my experience the average
non-technical user then stares blankly at the screen wondering what to do next.

If it is a small office and the printer is shared, then you need to worry about
it is peer-to-peer or domain, has it been shared/configured for network use.  On
win2k and up PCs are nicer in that they will share drivers, so if it is
successfully installed on 1 PC you can add the printer on to another PC and it
will grab the drivers from the first PC.  But even then, the average user (in my
experience) will need help mapping the printer onto a new PC.

Plug and play ... Hah!

Stuart