[AccessD] Heck of an Access Question

Stephen Hait shait at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 21 14:48:25 CDT 2003

> In the data that I am going to be given, each customer
> has a specific customer number, however, based upon
> how many items that they purchased on their most
> recent invoice, they might be in the table multiple
> times.  If they purchased one item, they're in one
> time.  Two items, two times.  Et al.
>
> My problem is this.  I need to "convert" these
> multiple entries into a single entry concatinating all
> of the non-matching data.  Such as items purchased.
> Obviously, their customer info should be the same.

One thought is to use queries to create 2 new tables. One could
contain customer id and info and include one row for each
distinct customer. The other could contain the items purchased
with one row for every item along with the customer id stored in
the customer table.

This might resolve your issue and the result would be a more
normalized way of storing the data (i.e., you would not have the
customer info repeated as it sounds like you do now.)

HTH,
Stephen