[AccessD] Re: [] Virus mail

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Fri Oct 24 12:04:16 CDT 2003

Yes, combining hardware and software firewalls will more thoroughly cover
your assets. You may use a spyware detector but they're only as good as
they're updates. A software firewall will prevent outgoing traffic as well
as incoming.

A software firewall is one way to catch trojan horses and spyware that isn't
known to the greater world yet. It is how I discovered the cable companies
monitoring software. It is also how I discovered that it doesn't do anything
for the end user. I wouldn't let it through for a week and it had no effect.
I removed it entirely and it had no effect.

The only downside to using a software firewall is the memory use and it
usually make startups a little slower.