[AccessD] Which ADO goes with A97

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Sun Oct 26 16:19:04 CST 2003

ADO is installed partially by the MDAC. The level no of the MDAC is
determined by the OS intially ie. WIN XP installs MDAC 2.7 , Win98 SE
installs MDAC 2.1 and had a copy of DAO 3.5
You can also install your own MDAC seperately. MDAC 2.5 is the last MDAC
to contain installable Jet 4.0. Better put a copy in your sock drawer.
MDAC 2.0 was last MDAC to contain installable Jet 3.5, (DAO 3.5). Unless
you have a copy in your sock drawer MDAC 2.0  is not obtainable directly
from MS. MDAC 2.1 through 2.5 updated it. You could install through VB 5
or 6 or Access 97 or OS Win 98 SE  or Win 95.
If your Jet SP is at least level 3.0 , you can go ahead and install Jet
SP8.0. It contains all the intervening SP fixes.
So your ADO level is partly determined by what OS you are aiming at.
Since AccessXP wont run on Win95, I guess you are aiming at Win98 and
up. If you are still using DAO 3.5, MDAC 2.5 SP3
will do you giving you ADO 2.5 as a base. If your client sites are
Win2000 and Win XP hopefully they are all MDAC 2.7 or ADO 2.7 then you
could just use ado2.7 and upgrade jet to SP8.
but then you may  lose your Access97 DAO 3.5 functionality without a
runtime install.
This is why you buy sagekey scripts.
or work your way through here to find what level is installed by what
software.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/servicedesks/fileversion/dllinfo.asp&fp=1
either searching by product name or dll.