[AccessD] Access database on the Internet

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at marlow.com
Tue Oct 28 16:20:41 CST 2003

Yes, but not the way you are thinking.  The first sub-contract job I did for
my sister was for a company that was hosted by a hosting company that
'supported' Access.  It also supported ActiveX .dll's.  So I wrote a .dll to
interact with the database, the .dll used ADO to connect to the db, and for
the path to the db, it just used the path to the .dll.  Therefore, I
uploaded the .dll and the db to the same folder.  Worked like a charm.

In most occasions, I am writing stuff for IIS servers I have DIRECT access
too.  In those cases, I actually put the .mdb in a location that is NOT
visible to the web, then I hard code the actual path into the .dll.  Thus,
the asp pages can interact with the .dll, but the .mdb is never directly
visible to the user.

Drew