[AccessD] Access database on the Internet

Steven W. Erbach serbach at new.rr.com
Thu Oct 30 06:09:48 CST 2003

Frank,

>> VPN is nothing like Terminal Server.

>> VPN (Virtual Private Networking) creates a "tunnel" to
act as a LAN connection to a private network via the
Internet.  This "virtual private network" tunnel
allows you to act as if you were physically hard-wired
to the LAN. <<

Frank,

I appreciate the clarification. You're right there is an essential difference between VPN and Terminal Server: a VPN connection means that your PC is still doing all the Access processing that it normally would on a LAN while with terminal server (and PC Anywhere) you're actually logged into a workstation at the host site and the host sends its screens to your PC. Your remote PC only controls the keyboard and mouse of the host system which is the one doing the work of processing queries and such.

As far as my own interest is concerned, since there won't be any Terminal Server or VPN set up on my client's network, any web-based access to an Access BE will have to be through the use of ASP.

>> You're thinking of VNC.  Which is an Open
Source/Freeware remote desktop tool similar to
PCanywhere/Terminal Server/Citrix Metaframe. <<

You're very kind to assume that I just got an acronym mixed up. That isn't the case. I'd never heard of VNC before your message.

Thanks,

Steve