[AccessD] OT: Wireless network (sort of)

Frank Tanner III pctech at mybellybutton.com
Fri Oct 31 08:54:35 CST 2003

I recommend "hardwiring" the IP address of any device
or server connected to your LAN that's not a
workstation and is virtually always on.

For the price, I would also highly recommend removing
all hubs from your network and using them as
doorstops.  Switches have come way down in price and
have many benifits over hubs.

Hubs divide the bandwidth across all ports.  Thus if
you have an 8-port 10-BaseT hub, all ports that are
processing data split that 10Mbit.  A switch, each
port gets the fill bandwidth.

That's not including the security issues inherent with
hubs as they broadcast all available data to all
available ports rather than to the proper destination
port.