[AccessD] Record deleted by user

John Colby jcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Sep 5 13:06:55 CDT 2003

I am trying to implement a "selected flag" system for a particular form.  I
create a table local to the FE with two fields:

SelectedID Long
Selected Boolean

I modify the form's query to do an outer join between the pk of the original
table and SelectedID.
I add a check box to the form bound to the Selected field.

Whenever the user clicks the check box a record is created in the new table,
the SelectedID is set to the PK of the original table and the Selected field
is set true.  All fine so far.  Printing works fine - filter on records with
a join to this table and selected = true.

The odd behavior comes if I delete the records in the new Selected table.
If I build a query that displays the original table joined to the Selected
table, when I delete any records in the Selected table, the fields in the
query from the Selected table display the words "Deleted" and I can no
longer enter any data in that field because I get a JET error "record
deleted by user".  I have to requery the query and then I can again create
new records.

This is an issue because the FORM's recordset works until I delete a record
in the selected table, then the checkbox FOR THAT RECORD ceases to work for
no apparent reason.  The reason of course is this problem discussed above.

John W. Colby
www.colbyconsulting.com