OT RE: [AccessD] Cataloguing CDs not MP3s

Andy Lacey andy at minstersystems.co.uk
Sun Sep 14 15:09:26 CDT 2003

Hi Arthur
Don't know about the cataloguing thing but if the 2nd part of what
you're asking is about getting vinyl onto PC so you can burn it then I
use Easy Cd Creator Platinum. It has an option titled Spin Doctor which
will capture via the input socket of your sound card. I hook up a
turntable to an amp, the amp's 'tape out' to the sound card and off it
goes. The unsatisfactory bit is that Spin Doctor offers options to split
the incoming stream into tracks, such as spotting x seconds of silence,
but I've never had any joy at all with this, and always get one single
file with the entire side of a vinyl record. I then use a second piece
of software called Goldwave (see http://www.goldwave.com ) which is just
brilliant. It lets you edit a sound file. You scan through your file
on-screen and insert flags where tracks end, then tell it to split the
file on those flags. This all takes a while but IMO is very successful.
If anyone has a better (and inexpensive) solution I'd be interested.

Andy Lacey
http://www.minstersystems.co.uk