[AccessD] Today's GIS (was Info: Free Windows Fortran 77 Compiler)

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Mon Sep 15 21:58:08 CDT 2003

I took a GIS course, a couple of years back at U Vic to keep my hand in.
It was all Unix MapSys.
 I am still surprised how many people don't think out of the box with
GIS. I once had to find out how many people had moved  in a year in a
municipality surrounded by Ottawa. So I did it with address matching and
maps showing the actual moves; took about a month to do. I came up with
a figure of  30%. The urban planners started berating me about the
figure being way too high.
 So I showed them the figures I got from Bell Canada. The number of new
residential phone connects in the year was 33% in that municipality. At
that time there were no cell phones.
One phone call to Bell could have given them a ball park figure rather
than using GIS.