[AccessD] Today's GIS

John B. john at winhaven.net
Tue Sep 16 09:49:35 CDT 2003

Mike,
Not much and not lately. (I was supposed to get a free copy of it for doing
something or other and it never showed up, so...) When MapPoint first came
on the scene it was kind of a joke to GIS pros. That doesn't mean a lot
though, given that MS Publisher was considered a joke to the Publishing
pros. Now, because of the price and marketing an aweful lot of people use MS
Publisher and most of the big dogs in publishing have converters for it. I
don't what the price is now but most quality GIS products are quite
expensive. ArcView (ESRI's entry level product) retails at $1,500. They may
have probably made inroads  somewhere, just none that I know of.

If you go to ESRI web site you can order their VBA developer's kit for free.
http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/toolkitcdreq.html
You can also get a 60 day evaluation of ArcView:
http://gis.esri.com/emails/av8evalcd_order.cfm

HTH
John B.