[AccessD] SQL Server database

John Colby jcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Sep 18 10:06:17 CDT 2003

Thanks!

John W. Colby
www.colbyconsulting.com

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com]On Behalf Of Francisco H
Tapia
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2003 10:29 AM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: Re: [AccessD] SQL Server database

John Colby wrote:
> I need to replace my hard disk in my server with a bigger model.  This
will
> involve a complete re-install (it's time!).  The question is, do I need to
> do a backup of the SQL Server database or will a new install be able to
just
> use an existing database?
>
> John W. Colby
> www.colbyconsulting.com

JC,
   If you have any DTS in your sytem or jobs you'll want to backup the
master, the MSDB and your actual databases

when restoring you should be in single user mode in order to restore the
master, and MSDB, then you can log on as normal (take server out of
single user mode) and restore your database, YOU SHOULD use the
BACKUP/RESTORE procedure over a typical DETACH AND RE-ATTACH or else you
will loose any diagrams you may have created.  Bear in mind that your
relationships between tables stay intact no matter which method you
choose, but w/ the DETACH/ATTACH method you loose the diagrams portion
for some reason.  (info on placing the server in single user mode is in
BOL).

--
-Francisco