[AccessD] Date issues in Access

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at marlow.com
Fri Sep 19 11:05:24 CDT 2003

Connie, you really need to ignore date formatting when you are in code.  A
date is actually a double variable (the whole part is the day (since Dec.30,
1899 (maybe Dec. 31st, I'm a little groggy this morning! <grin>)), and the
decimal is the fraction of the day (.0 is midnight, .5 is noon, etc.)).
There are two functions, DateSerial and TimeSerial, which have the order of
the arguments constant no matter what region of the world you are in.  So,
when making a date variable, you should set the variable with DateSerial,
which asks for a year, month and day.  You now have a date variable
representing the date you want, and you can display it any way you wish, but
to Access/VBA, it is the date you set, no matter what the format.

Drew