[AccessD] Project Official Start

Developer Developer at UltraDNT.com
Tue Sep 30 22:38:42 CDT 2003

Remember the good old days of 1999 when you could just walk away from a
client like this?

BTW - I'm a newbie, just signed on the list.  (NYC-based independent
contractor: Access, VB, SQL, MS-Office training, and when I can't get
out of it, a little networking)

Short answer is, when both sides have signed, that's your begin date.

As for the penalty, YES - get their responsibilities in writing ... I
have a client who pays me to keep re-importing their old system's data
because by the time they check the import, it's a month out of date and
they want all the new entries from the old system in the new system ...
This is going on like this for six months,  It's boring as hell and
keeping me from getting started on their .net based intranet, but ... As
long as they are paying, it doesn't matter.  In your case, though, since
they are making noise about not paying, make sure that the "clock stops"
when you are waiting for them to test or review or deploy or whatever.
Try to get the wording to be a count of days from execution, since you
could lose a month just getting the lawyers from both sides to accept
the document ("project will be completed 77 days from execution of this
contract", for example).

Hth,
Steve