[AccessD] Transfer text field name

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Apr 1 18:12:43 CST 2004

In the coming months I will have a similar problem to solve.  My client
handles claim processing for disability insurance - the middle man / call
center role.  Their client - the insurance company - is moving to new
software and I have to change to outputting just the fields that we already
export to them, perhaps 60 or 70 fields, into a single record of hundreds of
fields, formatted EXACTLY as they dictate, fixed field width.  They can't
even handle delimited, it must be fixed width fields.  Literally about 3000
bytes per record with all the blank fields just spaces.

Mainframes are just silly sometimes.  You should see the record format.
It's like hundreds of fields just "reserved" for some future need.  I
shudder to think of what their program looks like.