[AccessD] OT: open source

bruce_bruen at mlc.com.au bruce_bruen at mlc.com.au
Tue Apr 6 17:51:13 CDT 2004

Susan,

Open source does not mean free of cost.  Nor does it always mean free of
licence fees.

The strength of the open source movement lies in the ability of the
licencee to alter the software to their own needs.

Apache on Linux servers is the most widely used web server technology in
the world.

Usage of MySQL in corporate applications in Aus/NZ has increased by 60% in
the last year and is expected to grow at a similar but declining rate for
the "forseeable future"  (Source C-Net survey results)

There are versioning problems in open source software - dont let anyone
tell you otherwise.

The TCO numbers game is b***s**t.  There is "statistical evidence" proving
both sides are correct.

Have you read "The Cathedral and the Bazaar".
http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/  or
http://www.firstmonday.org/  Its the short and to the point "sales"
material for open source.

Look at the adoption of open source software by the public sector for some
indication of the stability and future of the open source movement.

                      "Susan Harkins"
                      <ssharkins at bellsouth.net>        To:       "'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'"
                      Sent by:                          <accessd at databaseadvisors.com>
                      accessd-bounces at databasea        cc:
                      dvisors.com                      Subject:  RE: [AccessD] OT: open source

                      07/04/2004 08:18
                      Please respond to Access
                      Developers discussion and
                      problem solving

That was very good and very close to my own opinions except I just don't
have the expertise to speak to servers. I think MS will adjust and change
as
necessary -- but can't really predict what that will mean.

My question is this -- if they're all giving it up for free -- how are they
going to make money and stay in business. Support? Is there really going to
be enough support $ to cover it? I wouldn't think so. Anybody using MySQL
and paying for the support? I absolutely hate using MySQL, but I wouldn't
pay for support. There's got to be part of the puzzle that I'm missing.

Susan H.

Is open source a panacea? No way. But then again, neither is MS. It's a
choice that is becoming more and more viable especially as the software
becomes more mature. Will it hurt MS? In the long run, more likely than
not,
but MS will survive. They may be different, but they will still be there.