[AccessD] OT: open source

Susan Harkins ssharkins at bellsouth.net
Tue Apr 6 18:54:48 CDT 2004

The documentation is some of the worst around".  MySql has had a close
connectiong w/ Linux and thus their documentation has many examples w/ *nix
syntax.  And if a documentation is wrong, how is it better? :)

========If you go to a bad dentist, do you go back? Does someone blame you
for not going back a few years later, "Geez... Wow, he's better now, you
should give him another try?" No way. :) If MySQL lost me just on the lack
of a decent interface and sloppy documentation, I'm betting I'm not the only
one. Granted, I am lazier than most of you and will dump something faster
than most here -- but you guys are unique -- you guys LIKE pain. :) If I'm
not working, I'm not making money, so I don't spend a lot of time with stuff
that makes working too hard.

Lexie came home from Walmart this afternoon with her Pa Pa -- they had a new
milkshake maker. It took scissors, grunt power, and a swig of boubon from
the freezer just to get the thing out of the package. Then, I had words with
the Pa Pa about disappearing once the package came in the door. I feel that
way about MySQL. :) That's exactly my problem with MySQL -- well, a while
ago.

I just visited MySql.com and found their available manual.  skimming through
a chapter it all reads straight forward.  However I will say this... they
are distributing it in PDF and HTML, and the PDF is no BOL :), however If
you just do a search on their site for keywords on things you need say..
"CREATE TABLE" then you get all the proper syntax in a very much BOL type
fashion except it's ONLINE not offline, and by skimming their documentation
page it looks like you can d/l that as well, tho I don't know if searching
is available locally.

========My main complaint was organization. Even with the search
capabilities (OK, everyone already knows I'm search challenged), I found it
difficult to find what I was looking for. Invariably it would involve
reading much more than I really should've had to read. Now, you can blame me
and call me names if you like, but that's not good documentation. But then,
I don't like MS either. I can find something on microsoft's site with google
faster than I can with a Microsoft search. Go figure. ;) But then, that's
why I have a job. Some day I'm going to plug Donna's brain into my computer
-- then I'll be able to find everything and you'll all be sorry! ;)

Susan H.