[AccessD] OT: open source

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at sympatico.ca
Tue Apr 6 21:31:21 CDT 2004

On 6 Apr 2004 at 19:21, Susan Harkins wrote:

> ========Can't imagine this creating huge corporations -- but I'm wrong
> a lot. ;)

Red Hat is making money. According to their website they have $328
million in the bank.

Suse was just bought for $210 million, and they are the #2 Linux
distro.

Not on the same level as MS, but not bad for companies that are less
than 10 years old.

> > Why do you hate it? Is it because you are not used to it? Or you don't
> > under stand it? Or there is no GUI for it?

> =========All of the above. The documentation is some of the worst
> around -- it use to be. MS is rather dry, cryptic, and even sometimes
> wrong, but you can understand it. I could barely read through the
> MySQL documentation. Mind you it's been a few years so they've
> probably improved things a lot as they've grown (I would hope). Just
> personal experience though -- I don't like to work so hard. :)

I actually don't find their docs that bad. I actually use them as a
SQL reference. How to structure the specific parts of a SQL
statement.

As for the GUI, they have recently released a GUI that is better than
anything that has come before it for working with MySQL. Plus you can
always work with it using Access :)

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at sympatico.ca
I don't approve of political jokes. I've seen too many of them get
elected.