[AccessD] OT: US/UK public holidays

Bryan Carbonnell Bryan_Carbonnell at cbc.ca
Thu Apr 15 08:20:07 CDT 2004

Here in Canada it is usually the closest business day that becomes the
holiday. So if the holiday fall on Saturday, the observed holiday is the
Friday previous. If the holiday falls on a Sunday, then the observed day
is the Monday.

Now to add to complication, if the place of employement has a union
collective agreement, that may make the descision which day is observed
at that particular company.

Where I work, my collective agreement used to state that the observed
day must be in the same work week as the week that the holiday fell.
Since our work week is Monday to Sunday, all of our observed holidays
would be on the Friday (or Thursday and Friday if both weekend days were
holidays). So we would be closed when other businesses were open and
open when everyone else was closed. I think that it has now changed, but
I'm not 100% sure.

Bryan Carbonnell
bryan_carbonnell at cbc.ca

>>> gustav at cactus.dk 15-Apr-04 5:36:22 AM >>>
Thanks for all the responses!

> The day that people actually "have off"

But is this a commom business rule in US and UK or is just an
arrangement for the embassies? And is there "a rule"? I notice that
for Christmas Day you have two different Day Observed - looks like UK
picks the proceeding workday while US picks the following workday.

Here it is just "bad luck" for the citizens if a fixed date public
holiday falls within a weekend or collides with a moveable holiday.

/gustav