[AccessD] custom sorts/groups in a report

Susan Harkins ssharkins at bellsouth.net
Sun Apr 18 12:52:24 CDT 2004

Well, it's clunky --

1.) User selects the first day of the week from a list of Sunday through
Saturday.
2.) User clicks a command button that opens the report and sends the above
selected value via the OpenArgs argument.
3.) The report is based on a query that calls a function that uses the value
selected in #1 to return a weekday value for each date.
4.) The report's grouping is first set to year. The second level groups on
the weekday value returned by #3. And, a third sorting level simply sorts
the date values so it all comes out in the wash.
5.) The group header contains a value that uses the openargs value in a
DatePart expression to return the first day of the week for each group.

You can use the report without the form and it will default to a
firstdayoftheweek value of 1 -- to avoid errors and to make it easier to use
the report without going through the form -- that way you could set the
default to anything and the user could just open the report.

Seems like it ought to be easier than that though -- just too much going on.

#3's the one I don't really like. Seems like I ought to be able to get that
weekday number in the report, and although I can -- I can't sort by it.
Someone mentioned yesterday that you could group on a calculation, but I've
not figured that one out yet. I tried setting it using the GroupLevel and
GroupOn properties, but never got it to work -- not saying it won't, just I
wasn't successful. I didn't spend much time on it though. My understanding
of the GroupOn property is that it needs to refer to a specific integer
value that represents the built-in levels (Month, Year, Quarter, and so on).
I never could get it to accept a DatePart expression.

Susan H.