[AccessD] OT- Files To Psion Handhelds

paul.hartland at fsmail.net paul.hartland at fsmail.net
Tue Aug 3 04:36:17 CDT 2004

To all,

I have been given the excellent task of taking over someone’s project (as they have left the company).  I basically have to import a .csv file in Access the from that data, create the following 3 files for our psion handhelds (NEVER done this before, so need all the patience and help one can get).  Apparently I write out to three files as Binary access .DAT, .IDX, .ID1.

The .DAT file contains every record with the following detail.

            PackedBarCode, strItemCode, strDesc, strSPK

PackedBarCode = 14 digit barcode compressed to 7 bytes.
strItemCode       = Uncompressed 8 character code.
strDesc              = Uncompressed 40 character description.
strSPK               = Uncompressed 7 character packsize.

The .IDX file contains every 128th record with the following detail.

            PackedBarCode, Offset

PackedBarCode = 14 digit barcode compressed to 7 bytes.
Offset                = Position of the PackedBarCode in the .DAT file (4 bytes)

The .ID1 file contains every record with the following detail.

strItemCode       = 8 character uncompressed ItemCode
Offset                = position of the ItemCode in the .DAT file (4 bytes)

Has anyone ever worked with psions, and know a fool proof way of doing this, I have a meeting in Doncaster on Thursday with the client and would really like this section to be working.

Paul Hartland

--

Whatever you Wanadoo:
http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/