[AccessD] AXP and Error 3310

Charlotte Foust cfoust at infostatsystems.com
Thu Aug 5 16:49:18 CDT 2004

I'm beating my head against this and couldn't find anything in the
archives or the MSKB (they seem to never have heard of error 3310), so
I'm looking to you guys for assistance.  We have an app that does
nothing but watch a folder and import the files it finds there.  To
stress test it, we set it up with a single file (which is actually a zip
file containing a series of comma delimited text files, each compatible
with a table in the database structure) to import repeatedly.  The
import specs are there, and the thing behaves beautifully ... For a
while.  Then suddenly, after it has happily imported the same file
several hundred times, it loses its mind and starts throwing a 3310
error, "This property is not supported for external data sources or for
databases created with a previous version of Microsoft Jet" for each
text file in the archive.  Mind you, this is within 60 seconds of having
imported the thing before.

After that, NO imports are possible in the database, even from the UI
until you close and restart Access.  Nothing else has changed, and the
database is not overly large.  It isn't an unhandled error somewhere,
because the module level and global variables are still populated.  I
can open the unzipped text files and see the data in them, but Access
can no longer import it, not even from the UI.  I'm not getting an Out
of Memory error or anything else, but I can step through the code and
see it break on DoCmd.TransferText.  We're running on XP but I can
replicate the behavior on Win2k and it is fairly consistent across
machines with different speeds and memory, although the details of
*when* it breaks vary slightly.

I have a restart functionality built, shelling out to a restart app, but
I want to know what's going wrong, not just paste a bandage on it.  Has
anyone else every encountered (and overcome) this?

Charlotte Foust
Infostat Systems, Inc.