[AccessD] OT: Why not reply at top of message

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Thu Aug 5 19:52:42 CDT 2004

On 6 Aug 2004 at 10:18, Kath Pelletti wrote:

> Here's a Friday rant - is there a reason that people are replying to
> emails and putting their response at the bottom of the message instead
> of at the top? It's so much harder to quickly read through - you have
> to scroll down and find the response.
>
> I know that sometimes you have to do this when you are replying to
> different *parts* of the message - but otherwise - what the reason?

My rant would be: Why do people insist on "Top posting"  and including *all* of
the previous message(s) below their response.

The following is stolen from:

Why is Bottom-posting better than Top-posting
By A. Smit and H.W. de Haan
http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

<quote>

1. Because it is proper Usenet Etiquette. Check out the following URL:
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html . It is a little outdated but still has a
lot of valid points. Let us quote something from this site:

If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you summarize the
original at the top of the message, or include just enough text of the original
to give a context. This will make sure readers understand when they start to
read your response. Since NetNews, especially, is proliferated by distributing
the postings from one host to another, it is possible to see a response to a
message before seeing the original. Giving context helps everyone. But do not
include the entire original!

2. We use a good news reader like Forte Agent. Good newsreaders like Agent put
the signature by default at the end of the post, which is the Usenet
convention. Microsoft Outlook Express however has some serious bugs. Let us
quote someone we know:

"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they
start making vacuum cleaners." -Ernst Jan Plugge

We are programmers ourselves, and we know it is very easy to implement to put a
signature at the end of the post instead of putting it directly above the post
you are replying to and can not change the position. Forte Agent has as a
feature that reply to a post it will remove the signature (recognizable by '--
', note the extra space) and everything below it, so it will remove a part of
the original message. This is good Usenet practice so Agent is not faulty.
Outlook Express on the other hand is faulty, check this bugreport regarding the
Usenet signature delimiter.

If you want to try Agent, you can get it here.

3. Top-posting makes posts incomprehensible. Firstly: In normal conversations,
one does not answer to something that has not yet been said. So it is unclear
to reply to the top, whilst the original message is at the bottom. Secondly: In
western society a book is normally read from top to bottom. Top-posting forces
one to stray from this convention: Reading some at the top, skipping to the
bottom to read the question, and going back to the top to continue. This
annoyance increases even more than linear with the number of top-posts in the
message. If someone replies to a thread and you forgot what the thread was all
about, or that thread was incomplete for some reasons, it will be quite
tiresome to rapidly understand what the thread was all about, due to bad
posting and irrelevant text which has not been removed.

4. To prevent hideously long posts with a minimal account of new text, it is
good Usenet practice to remove the non-relevant parts and optionally summarize
the relevant parts of the original post, with regard to one's reply. Top-
posting inevitably leads to long posts, because most top-posters leave the
original message intact. All these long posts not only clutter up discussions,
but they also clutter up the server space.

5. Top-posting makes it hard for bottom-posters to reply to the relevant parts:
it not possible to answer within the original message. Bottom-posting does not
make top-posting any harder.

6. Some people will argue that quoting looks bad due line wrapping. This can
simply be dealt with by dropping Outlook Express as a start, and using only
linewidths of 65 - 70 characters. Otherwise one has do it manually, and that
can be tiresome.

7. A reason given by stubborn top-posters: they don't like to scroll to read
the new message. We like to disagree here, because we always have to scroll
down to see the original message and after that to scroll back up, just to see
to what they are replying to. As a result you have to scroll twice as much when
reading a top-poster's message. As a counterargument they say (believe us they
do): "You can check the previous message in the discussion". This is even more
tiresome than scrolling and with the unreliable nature of Usenet (and even
email is inevitably unreliable), the previous message in the discussion can be
simply unavailable.

8. Some newsgroups have strict conventions concerning posting in their charter.
As an example we can tell you that in most Dutch newsgroups, you will be
warned, killfiled or maybe even flamed, if you fail to follow Usenet
conventions or if you do not quote according to the quoting guidelines. In
general: it is better to practice the guidelines, if one does not want to get
flamed in a newsgroup one just subscribed to.

We can conclude that there are no good reasons we know of for top-posting. The
most top-posts originate from the minimal work people spend on making posts. We
think that one should be proud of one's post, that is it contains relevant
content, well-formed sentences and no irrelevant 'bullsh*t', before uploading
to your newsserver. If the majority of the group will adhere to this
convention, the group will be nicer, tidier and easier to read.

As a final remark we want to bring non-quoting into mind. This means that the
original content of an email or Usenet post is completely removed. It makes it
very hard for a reader to find out to what and whom one is replying. This
phenomenon can be partly attributed to wrong settings of news- and email-
clients, and partly to people who want to start with clean replies.

Special thanks goes to P. Knutsen and P. Roskin for giving constructive
feedback

</quote>

--
Lexacorp Ltd