[AccessD] Naming Conventions

Colby, John JColby at dispec.com
Tue Aug 10 14:36:19 CDT 2004

>it occurs to me "dim i as integer" at the start of a loop might solve the
"what type is it"

It would of course (for that area of the code).  It's considered bad
practice to dim variables in the middle of code for obvious reasons.  Plus
if the code that I is used in is a page long, you are right back to "what
the heck is i".

I am particularly sensitive to this because a few years back I inherited the
typical "database from hell"  One of the central routines was a function
that was literally 6 feet long when printed and laid on the floor.  Of
course I carved it up into functions but trying to read the original was
just... well... hell.

JWC

Do you always dim your variables at the top of the routines? I got in that
habit sometime ago but it occurs to me
"dim i as integer" at the start of a loop might solve the "what type is it"
issue.

Jim Hale