[AccessD] Date Modified

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Thu Aug 12 10:23:06 CDT 2004

On 12 Aug 2004 at 17:06, paul.hartland at fsmail.net wrote:

>> That will work where the scripting runtime is installed, but IME almost
>> every company forbids its installation because it is so potentially
>> dangerous.

> Never knew about this, what are the potential dangers ?

Viruses/trojans commonly use it. I always disable it on all my client's
machines.

Talking of scripting, if anyone is familiar with AutoIt, I've just
discovered that a new Version 3 was released earlier this year. It's a huge
improvement over v2.

See http://www.hiddensoft.com/autoit3/

For those who aren't familiar with it:

"AutoIt v3 is an opensource BASIC-like scripting language designed for
automating the Windows GUI.  It uses a combination of simulated keystrokes,
mouse movement and window/control manipulation in order to automate tasks
in a way not possible or reliable with other languages (e.g. VBScript and
SendKeys).

AutoIt was initially designed for PC "roll out" situations to configure
thousands of PCs, but with the arrival of v3 it is also well suited to
performing home automation and the scripting of repetitive tasks.

AutoIt can:

    *  Provide a general-purpose scripting language
    *  Execute Windows and DOS executables
    *  Simulate key-strokes (supports most keyboard layouts)
    *  Simulate mouse movements and clicks
    *  Move, resize and manipulate windows
    *  Interact directly with "controls" on a window (set/get text from
edit controls, check boxes and radio buttons, select items in drop-down
lists, etc.)
    *  Work with the clipboard to cut/paste text items
    *  Work with the registry

Unlike AutoIt v2, the new v3 language has a much more standard syntax -
similar to VBScript and BASIC - and now supports complex expressions, user
functions, looping and everything else that veteran scripters would
expect."

Note, you can also compile AutoIt scripts into very tight standalone
applications. A great little tool.

--
Stuart