[AccessD] update qry to deconstructe place

DWUTKA at marlow.com DWUTKA at marlow.com
Mon Aug 16 15:32:14 CDT 2004

I forgot, are you using Access 2000?

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com]On Behalf Of KathrynAtGwens
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2004 3:05 PM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: [AccessD] update qry to deconstructe place

Have field named DeathPlace that holds:
city, county, state - ie: Pomfret, Windham, CT

Have fields deathcity, deathcounty, deathstate

Some people already have deathcity, deathcounty, deathstate fields filled in
but some haven't yet been broken down.

Thanks to Drew, I know how to do the opposite - combining the fields:
UPDATE tblBuried SET DeathPlace = [deathcity] & ", " & [deathcounty] & ", "
& [deathstate];
(did that for another purpose)

But now how do I do the opposite - the splitting of one field to three? I
know it should be easy and people do it all the time with splitting names,
but I'm not understanding the syntax. I found the parsing instructions in
the help file but it's using an example that has a fixed number of
characters and my mind is blank on how to change it so that the comma is the
deliminator.

= = = = = =
To find values in part of a field, use the Left, Right, or Mid function in
an expression in an empty cell in the Field row in the query design grid.
The syntax for these functions is:
Left(stringexpr,n)
Right(stringexpr,n)
Mid(stringexpr,start,n)