[AccessD] Convert Access 97 to 2003 and SQL Server

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Sat Aug 21 12:57:01 CDT 2004

The conversion tool kit only reports on areas of concern that have to be
addressed later by the Upsizing wizard (available from Tools Database
Utilities menu)
Handy, if you have to fix a hundred reports.
Have a look at this article by Susan, to help you decide whether to go
with ADP or MDB Access 2003 front ends.

Using Access to build a front end for SQL Server
http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6329-5065669.html?fromtm=e056

One major question to be addressed is your client buying a license for
SQL Server or are you going to use MSDE 2000.
And is your client savvy enough to handle SQL backups and restore or are
you going to write all the code to make this transparent..

If using MSDE 2000, the client may not have the use of SQL Enterprise
Manager.
So you may have to use something like this freebie from a Microsoft MVP
DBA Manager 2K to handle user security and  backup etc.
http://www.asql.biz/DbaMgr.shtm
There is a new version of MSDE 2000 called SQL Server Express that is in
Beta just now.
It will get around the 5 user  throttling problem, allows 4 Gig database
with enhanced security.
It will also come with its own version of EM but that hasn't been
released yet.
 You might want to pick up this book too
SQL: Access to SQL Server by Susan Sales Harkins, Martin W.P. Reid

--
Marty Connelly
Victoria, B.C.