[AccessD] Database for Small Business

DWUTKA at marlow.com DWUTKA at marlow.com
Tue Aug 24 11:10:40 CDT 2004

Welcome to the List Lorraine.

Oh, the days when a database could remain simple! <grin>

Okay, to your first question, no, you cannot modify the actual Autonumber
field to display '0001'.  However, you can take 1, and have it displayed as
'0001'.  If if the Autonumber field is CustomerID then in the report,
display it in a text box with this:

=String("0",4-Len("" & [CustomerID])) & [CustomerID]

As for setting an Autonumber to 2004, you can do this.  There are several
methods, probably the easiest is an Append Query:

INSERT INTO tblInvoices ([InvoiceID]) VALUES(2003)

run that, and you'll have a new record with the ID at 2003.  Delete that
record (but do not compact the database), and the next Invoice you put in
will start at 2004. (Once you have added a record, you can compact the
database, and the Autonumber will continue using the next larger number
after the current one.)

As for the late fee, that would be a calculation, no real reason to store
the value in your tables.  Instead, have a Payments Received table, and then
build a query that lists Invoices Not listed in the Payments received table,
along with using the current date compared against a third 'Late Charges'
table, to calculate how much the penalties have added up.

Drew