[AccessD] Nice laptop cheap!

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Dec 2 14:26:21 CST 2004

Folks,

I bought the Emachines (Gateway) m5405 laptop from BestBuy for my wife for
Christmas.  They have it on sale for $950, plus if purchased before 12/4
there are two mail in rebates for $150 and $50 (200 total rebates) making
the machine $750 + tax (on $950).

The machine specs:

eMachines M5405

Specifications
CPU: 	Mobile AMD SempronT 2800+ Processor Operates at 1.6GHz 256KB L2
Cache
Operating System: 	MicrosoftR WindowsR XP Home Edition 1
Memory: 	512 MB DDR (PC 2700)
Hard Drive: 	60 GB HDD 2
Optical Drives: 	DVD/CD-RW Combo (CD-read 24x; CD-write 24x;
CD-rewrite 24x; DVD-read 8x)
Video: 	SiS M760 Ultra 256 Graphics
UMA 64 MB (shared) Video Memory
Sound: 	AC '97 Audio
Built-in Stereo Speakers
Modem: 	56K ITU V.92 Fax/Modem
Network: 	Integrated 802.11g Wireless LAN, 10/100Mbps built-in
Ethernet
Dimensions: 	1.36"h x 14.0"w x 10.0"d
Internet: 	AOL Membership Included (Additional phone charges may apply.
Click here for details.)
Ports/Other: 	3 USB 2.0 ports, 1 IEEE 1394, 1 VGA external connector,
Microphone In, Line Out, PCMCIA Slot (Card Bus type I and type II)
Pre-Installed Software: 	MicrosoftR WindowsR XP Home Edition,
Microsoft Works 8.0 1, Microsoft Money 2004, Encarta Online, AdobeR AcrobatR
ReaderT, Power DVD, Microsoft Media Player, Real Player, Internet Explorer,
Norton AntiVirus 2004 (90 day complimentary subscription)

This is a NICE machine, not a gaming machine obviously but plenty for the
student, wife, or the developer on a budget (me?).  It can accept a sodimm
in an exposed slot (which already has a 254mb sodimm in it) up to 1 gbyte.

If you need a laptop or are looking to buy one for a present for someone,
CHECK IT OUT.

http://folding.stanford.edu/