[AccessD] A2003: FTP and Network Connection Gurus

Darren DICK d.dick at uws.edu.au
Thu Dec 9 21:28:04 CST 2004

Hi Gustav
Do you have a working example?

After 5 hours - yes 5 hours - I give up

DD

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
Sent: Thursday, 9 December 2004 8:14 PM
To: accessd at databaseadvisors.com
Subject: Re: [AccessD] A2003: FTP and Network Connection Gurus

Hi Darren

If you prefer a little more than a DOS box for the user to view, go and pick
Windows Command Line FTP and the Access module to drive it:

  http://www.pacific.net/~ken/software/

/gustav

On 9 Dec 2004 at 9:14, Darren DICK wrote:

> Hi All
> I need to add an FTP upload screen to one of my APPS
>
> Firstly - lemme say I know nothing about such things The client's
> Network dude gave me...
> A Server Name
> A UserName
> And a Password
>
> So...I opened up an FTP client and successfully transferred the back
> end of the app (About 4meg) to the FTP location he supplied with the
> credentials he supplied - Phew so far so good :-))
>
> Anyone got any code or forms or URL's they'd like to share so I can
> incorporate something like an FTP scheduler in my app, to run
nightly?

You can do it by very easily by scripting a FTP session and scheduling it
using built in Windows capabilities (Look up FTP commands in WIndows
Help):

Create a text file (c:\ftpstuff\myscript) containing the following,
substituting the appropriate info. Make sure that there are no trailing

spaces on the lines:

open ftp.myftpserver.com.au
myusername
mypassword
send c:\ftpstuff\myfile.mdb
disconnect
quit

Note:  This should work, depending on the FTP Server he is using.  Some

require a line like "USER myusername mypassword" in place of the two lines
with above.

Then schedule a one line batch file  containing the command:

ftp -s:c:\ftpstuff\myscript