[AccessD] References to Outlook and version problems

Steve Conklin (Developer@UltraDNT) Developer at UltraDNT.com
Mon Dec 13 16:19:57 CST 2004

Yes, Late binding is the way around this ...
Dim everything as Object.  Something like:

Dim appOut as Object
Set appOut= CreateObject("Outlook.Application").

You will lose the constants and have to use the actual numbers, such as
olMailItem - need to use the 0 (or 1 - I don't remember).  Works for
TreeView and Node as well, dim them as objects.

Hth
Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
Sent: Monday, December 13, 2004 4:49 PM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: [AccessD] References to Outlook and version problems

I know this has been covered before, but I never had need for it until
now.

Problem: the app gets installed on some boxes running Office 2K and some

running Office XP. The app reaches out to Outlook and when I compile it,

version-specific references get embedded. Then it doesn't work on the
"other" OS.

I recall reading here that this has to do with early v. late binding and

that one can code around this, using late binding. But I've never done
this before.

I think that this may not be the only issue involved. I make extensive
use of the MS treeview control in the app, and there are several
versions of same. Is the solution to this the same as the Outlook issue?

I seem to get busted on the line that dims N as Node.

Arthur