[AccessD] A2003:Connect to a text file at a web address

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Fri Dec 17 03:14:50 CST 2004

Hi Darren

If you have access to this file with no password, you can download it
via HTTP:

<code>

Option Compare Database
Option Explicit

Private Declare Function URLDownloadToFile Lib "urlmon" Alias
"URLDownloadToFileA" ( _
  ByVal pCaller As Long, _
  ByVal szURL As String, _
  ByVal szFileName As String, _
  ByVal dwReserved As Long, _
  ByVal lpfnCB As Long) _
  As Long

Public Function DownloadFile( _
  ByVal strURL As String, _
  ByVal strLocalFilename As String) _
  As Long

' Download file or page with public access from the web.
' 2004-12-17. Cactus Data ApS, CPH.

' Usage, download a file:
' lngRet =
DownloadFile("http://www.databaseadvisors.com/Graphics/conf2002/2002ConferencePicsbySmolin/images/dba02smolin27.jpg",
"c:\happybassett.jpg")
'
' Usage, download a page:
' lngRet =
DownloadFile("http://www.databaseadvisors.com/conf2002/conf200202.htm",
"c:\dbaconference.htm")

' Returns 0 if success, error code if not.
' Error codes:
' -2146697210 "file not found".
' -2146697211 "domain not found".

' Limitation.
' Does not check if local file was created successfully.

  Dim lngRetVal As Long

  lngRetVal = URLDownloadToFile(0, strURL & vbNullChar,
strLocalFilename & vbNullChar, 0, 0)

  DownloadFile = lngRetVal

End Function

</code>

Beware of line breaks.

/gustav

>>> d.dick at uws.edu.au 17-12-2004 04:35:48 >>>
Hello all
I have a text file on my website
Very vary small
It has one line in it similar to...

5.50,True

I want to connect to it via link tables
When I type in the web address I get a small dialogue saying Connecting
web server..
Then I get an error of LINK TEXT WIZARD: Internet Login Failure

Any one know how to pass my logon name and password in this situation?

Or if anyone knows of a better situation?