[AccessD] A2003: 2 Questions -Splash Screen and JPG Import dialogue

William Hindman dejpolsys at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 23 01:51:33 CST 2004

Darren

..I use a one pixel bmp to suppress the Access splash screen and then load
my own splash form with timer so that I control what the user sees rather
than what the cpu or Redmond decides to present ...the one pixel bmp is
named exactly the same as the mdb but with the bmp extension ...it has to be
an actual bmp file, not a renamed rle or jpg, etc. ...it sets in the same
directory and is inevitably the file immediately above the associated mdb in
explorer when sorted by name ...this has worked in every mdb since '97 and
continues to work for me in 2K3 ...I can't speak to what effect a large bmp
splash might have since I don't use them.

..as for the import dialog problem, jpgs are not a native Access graphic
format and one way or another the format has to be converted ...rather than
do work arounds and mess with client registry keys I normally convert any
jpg to an emf graphics file format (which Access handles as a native graphic
with no conversion required ...emf is the format used by the Win GDI for
copy/paste operations for instance) before using it in Access ...you have to
be sure the emf is a good conversion since there are a number of format
converters that only switch the file header and leave the actual raster as
is (I use paintshoppro) ...another Redmond "special effect" is that
regardless of what the actual file extension is on your HD, you must call
the file as an .emf rather than .EMF ...if your code uses the capital
letters in the extension Windows WILL try to use the Office graphics file
filter (and thus the dialog) rather than seeing it as a native file format
..don't ask me why, don't know, don't care, MS is MS :(

..hth :)

PS ...Steve Lebans has a ton of in depth material on graphics conversions
within Access and a wealth of resources in other areas as well ...well worth
a spin      www.lebans.com

William Hindman