[AccessD] Form Timer Alternitive

Dan Waters dwaters at usinternet.com
Tue Dec 28 09:25:43 CST 2004

Robert,

I use a form timer to see if the System Administrator wants to force all
users to log off.  The form timer opens a recordset once per minute to see
if a flag has been set in a small table in the BE.  This has worked fine for
years.  The form timer itself does not try to keep track of the elapsed
time.

Suggestions:

Put a small table into the FE to capture a time.  At certain key events run
a recordset to update that time.  Have a form timer run once per minute(?)
to see if you have exceeded your elapsed time - then take the action you
need to take.

You could also use a form timer in a referenced mde or mdb to look up the
elapsed time in the FE table.  But, the referenced mde or mdb cannot call a
procedure or function in the referencing mdb or mde.

HTH,
Dan Waters